After negotiations with the college president and CUNY officials, an agreement was reached to loan the campus to the Navy for the duration of the war. The Navy also commandeered apartment buildings surrounding the campus, which were converted into barracks for the women.
The first class of enlisted recruits entered Hunter College on February 16, 1943. Six thousand WAVE boots would be trained at any given time. Every two weeks, another group of two thousand recruits would arrive at Hunter College for basic training.